Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Accused 9/11 Mastermind: I Made Up Stories to Stop Torture

Accused al Qaeda mastermind Khalid Sheikh Mohammed testified at a 2007 hearing at Guantanamo Bay that interrogators tortured lies out of him, according to sections of government transcripts released Monday.

"I make up stories," Mohammed said during the hearing.

The Associated Press gives this account:

In broken English, he described an interrogation in which he was asked the location of al Qaeda leader Osama bin Laden.

"Where is he? I don't know," Mohammed said. "Then he torture me. Then I said, `Yes, he is in this area or this is al Qaeda which I don't know him.' I said no, they torture me."

During the same military tribunal hearing, Mohammed ticked off a list of 29 terror plots in which he said he participated.


The transcripts were released as part of a lawsuit in which the American Civil Liberties Union is seeking documents and details of the government's terror detainee programs.

Previous accounts of the military tribunal hearings had been made public, but the Obama administration went back and reviewed the still-secret sections and determined that more could be released.

ACLU lawyer Ben Wizner called on the Obama administration to disclose more details, saying the new materials "provide further evidence of brutal torture and abuse in the CIA's interrogation program and demonstrate beyond doubt that this information has been suppressed solely to avoid embarrassment and growing demands for accountability."

No comments: