Thursday, June 25, 2009

Report: Michael Jackson Died After Taking Demerol

The Sun newspaper in London is speculating that the medication Demerol had a part to play in Michael Jackson's death today:

An Emergency Room source at UCLA hospital said Jackson aides told medics he had collapsed after an injection of potent Demerol — similar to morphine.

A Jacko source said: “Shortly after taking the Demerol he started to experience slow shallow breathing.

“His breathing gradually got slower and slower until it stopped.

“His staff started mouth-to-mouth and an ambulance was called which got there in eight minutes “But found he was in full respiratory arrest, no breathing and no pulse. They started full CPR and rushed him to hospital.

“When he arrived they started resuscitation, giving him heart shocks and inserted a breathing tube and other supportive measures to try and save his life.

“He never regained consciousness.The family was told that he had passed.”

WebMD describes Demerol as being used to treat moderate to severe pain. It is also used before and during surgery or other procedures with other types of pain medication. Meperidine (its generic name) acts on certain centers in the brain to give you pain relief. This medication is a narcotic pain reliever similar to morphine. warns that dangerous side effects or death can occur when alcohol is combined with this narcotic pain medicine, and that Demerol may be habit-forming. It also notes that an overdose can cause death.

No comments: