Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Terry Harper's Final Post

Terry Harper, the 45-year-old executive director of the Society of Professional Journalists who died Tuesday after a valiant battle with brain cancer, wrote a final blog post.

It was posted by his wife, Lee Ann, after he died.

So this is it. I have shuffled loose the mortal coil. My soul has been hurled into the great void. I am taking the proverbial dirt nap. I bought the farm. I kicked the bucket. I have checked out. Crossed the River Styx. Bought a pine condo. Ceased to be. I am wandering the Elysian Fields. Gone belly up. Checked out. Cashed in. Sleeping with the fishes. Danced the last dance. Run down the curtain. I am pushing daisies. I have joined the choir invisible. I have paid Charon’s fare. I have succumbed. I have sprouted wings. I am history. I am dead.

If you would like to help the family, here’s how: Make checks payable to the “Harper Family Fund” and mail to:

Harper Family Fund
3909 N. Meridian Street
Indianapolis, IN 46208

You may also make a donation using the SPJ.org form.

Cards and letters of condolence may be sent to Terry’s wife Lee Ann, and their boys Dale and Jace, at:

680 Middle Drive
Indianapolis, IN 46201

SPJ.org posted this remembrance:
Terry was not only a steady, energetic and decisive leader, he was our friend. Terry and his family are in our thoughts and prayers.

For those of you who knew Terry, you won’t be surprised to hear there will be a “nontraditional” tribute to him on Saturday evening in the Indianapolis area. On Sunday evening, per Terry’s request, there will be a rip-roaring party in his honor. All are welcome to attend.

As news of Terry’s failing health spread the past few days, many of you asked how you could help. We have opened an account on behalf of Terry’s family. This money will be used as the family chooses during this difficult time. We will also later be announcing details for a more lasting tribute to Terry.

God bless him, and peace to his family and friends.

No comments: