Monday, August 25, 2008

Michelle Obama's Focus on Family


Michelle Obama was the highlight of the opening night of the Democratic convention in Denver, telling the party faithful of her strong family ties.

"I come here tonight as a sister, blessed with a brother who is my mentor, my protector and my lifelong friend," Obama said. "And I come here as a wife who loves my husband and believes he will be an extraordinary president. And I come here as a mom, as a mom whose girls are the heart of my heart and the center of my world — they're the first things I think about when I wake up in the morning, and the last thing I think about before I go to bed at night.

"Their future – and all our children's future – is my stake in this election."



Frank James of The Chicago Tribune wondered if the speech, which was very good, would play well in Peoria:

It's difficult to tell how Michelle Obama's speech played out in flyover country. She obviously has a great personal story, this South Side Chicago girl.

But is it enough to overcome her earlier controversial comments and conservative attempts to make her seem like a radical who's far out of the mainstream? Hard to say.

No comments: